Rand Paul vs. Trey Grayson and The Washington Machine
This campaign ad for Rand Paul portrays Washington D.C. as a science fiction monster. Kudos to the ad agency for coming up with this idea.
Comparing the government to villains of the past is bound to be labeled as outrageous, whereas comparisons to villains in the future are still accurate and less sensational.
The analogy between the Federal government and science fiction villains works on several levels. The ad stirs up the same fears of technology run amok with a government that’s run amok such as:
- Cylons in Battlestar Galactica: A human invention which grows in power and then enslaves or destroys its creators.
- The Terminator: It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear.
- Colossus in The Forbin Project: “In time, you will come to regard me not only with respect and awe, but with love.”
- Borg from Star Trek: “Resistance is futile” and “You will be assimilated.”
- Delos in WestWorld: Where nothing can go wrong.
- Master Control Program in Tron: “I’m bored with corporations. With the information I can access, I can run things 900 to 1200 times better than any human.”